Gold Hammer Award for Outstanding Commercial Project
Client: City of Dallas
What we did:
- 4-Ply TC Coal Tar Pitch BUR with a gravel surface
- Full 1/8” per foot tapered System
- Polyisocyanurate and Perlite board insulation
- Stainless steel sheet metal trim
- New roof drain and drain line system
- Asbestos Abatement on the entire roof system
- Window Restoration
- Fall protection for Skylight System
- Plaza Deck (Red Deck) restoration
- Thermoplastic Membrane Waterproofing and Pavers
- Pipe hangers and supports
- Wood blocking
Challenges: The Love Field Airport Re-Roof was one challenging project for Castro Roofing. Not only to bid but also to execute. From cramped quarters to debris removal, this project required creative solutions from planning through completion. The roof had Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) and had to be abated with full hazmat equipment and protection. The ACM removal had to be done at night to make the roof installation during the day possible.
A large interest is always shown in a high profile project such as Love Field Airport. We reviewed the scope of work and with multiple site visits were able to analyze all the client’s special requirements such as atypical insurance requirements, site restrictions, work hour restrictions, construction safety issues, environmental concerns, and public safety interests.
We knew from the beginning this project would be one of the most challenging to date. For several years Castro Roofing has worked on various projects for the City of Dallas. Due to the high profile of this project the City utilized several entities, including internal and external consultants to co-manage the construction.