Gold Hammer Award for Outstanding Commercial Project
+ Golden Circle Award
Client: City of Dallas
What we did: Cold Application of SBA Modified Bitumen
- Tear-off of the existing roof down to Gypsum Deck
- Mechanically attach PermaPly 28 base sheet with UltraLok Fasteners
- Full taper insulation system at select areas with Urethane Insulation Adhesive
- Adhere 2.8” ISO Insulation and ½” Duraboard with Urethane Insulation Adhesive
- Adhere DynaBase and DynaKap FR membrane with MBR Cold Application Adhesive
Challenges: The Mezzanine portion of this project also posed a unique situation where holes had to be cut into the deck. No roofing contractor would ever purposely expose the inside of a building to the elements, especially this particular building. Nevertheless, six large holes measuring roughly 4×4’ to 16 x30’ were cut through the gypsum and concrete decks to allow access for other sub-contractors to work the interior of the building, leaving said interior completely exposed for short periods.
Castro Roofing’s role involved fabricating a temporary wood curb with intermediate wood cross members while using plywood and an EPDM membrane to cover the roof. A quick tie-in was also prepared and attached to the old gravel roof system.
This temporary system existed for several months until the interior work was completed. Afterward, a 22 gauge galvanized metal deck was inserted and filled with insulation to the level of the rest of the decking before the rest of the roof system was installed.